Formerly home of an American Air Force Base and elementary school, Eastcote is home to the historical dovecot and coach house to the now demolished Elizabethan Eastcote House.
Eastcote House was home to the Hawtrey family. Two other key houses were the centres of life in old Eastcote, Haydon Hall (also demolished in the 1960s) whose most famous resident was Lady Bankes, who resisted soldiers in the Civil War from taking Corfe Castle, Dorset. Highgrove House is the third, and this still stands, although it was rebuilt in c1879 after a fire gutted much of the original building. Churchill is said to have stayed there during his honeymoon and the Queen of Sweden was resident during World War One.
In the same place is also a walled garden which is believed to be of the same age. Similarly Haydon Hall, another grand manor house from the area was pulled down in the 1960s.The London Underground line came to Eastcote in 1904, and now both the Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines run through Eastcote.
During and just after World War II, Eastcote had an outstation from the Bletchley Park codebreaking establishment at RAF Lime Grove, where some of the Bombes and two Colossus code breakers which were used to decode German Enigma messages were housed. This closed when GCHQ was established at Cheltenham.
The RAF Lime Grove site was cleared in 2008 for housing redevelopement.
Eastcote is home to several pubs and bars split between the more modern establishments on the main shopping parade, such as The Manor (formally The Manor House), Champers wine bar and the RE bar on Field End Road. More locals pubs are the Black Horse and The Case is Altered in Eastcote Village. For live music and clubs the adjacent tube station connects to Harrow, Uxbridge and Central London easily. It is also home to many parks and open spaces.
The population of Eastcote and East Ruislip ward in 2007 was 11,278.