Feb 11 2013 By Jack Griffith
A MINOR acid spillage caused pandemonium in Hayes town on Friday last week.
The fire brigade was called to the spillage in Coldharbour Lane, close to the junction of Hunter's Grove, Hayes, just after 5pm.
Around half a pint of the unknown substance was dropped.
Two fire engines and a fire rescue unit from Hayes station attended, and they used sand and water to safely wash the chemicals away.
The road, one of Hayes's main shopping parades, was closed by police.
Witness Imfar Sairally, who contributed the picture, was on his way home at the time.
"My wife works on Coldharbour Lane, and she said that somebody on a bike dropped the container with the acid on the road.
"I saw it smoking, and lots of people gathered round to see what was going on."
The Environment Agency were notified, but were not required at the scene.
Hillingdon Council removed the waste.