home burning fire
A FAMILY whose Ruislip home was damaged by fire is racing against time to get the damage fixed for Christmas.
Ashley and Vincent Gaches and their two daughters, Holly, 19, and Isobelle, 17, were not at home when the front gable end of their home in Eastcote Road caught fire on Tuesday last week.
Mrs Gaches said: “It’s a nightmare, and just before Christmas.
“The cat was the only one in the house and, of course, she was curled up asleep on the bed through it all.
“Thankfully, our neighbour saw the smoke and called the fire brigade.”
London Fire Brigade said the blaze was caused by a security light attached to the wooden gable end. Despite the light not being in use, it had been left on with a charge in it.
An assessment of the roof took place on Wednesday last week.
Mrs Gaches hopes the family can now start to get its home back in order, after the power was disconnected and they were left without heating and hot water.
She said on Thursday last week: “Everything is starting to get sorted and it’s all been agreed so we’re just waiting for everyone to arrive now.
“We’ve been going round to my sister’s house every evening just to sit and watch telly and things, and only coming home to sleep because it’s just so uncomfortable to be at the house.
“The girls are staying at my sister’s until we get the heating back on because it’s too cold in our house.
“We’ve been told that the loft is going to be made safe enough so that the rest of the house can be put right for Christmas.”
Firefighters prevented the flames spreading from the loft to the rest of the house after breaking in through the back door.
Geoff Toye was visiting Ruislip on the day of the fire and noticed the blaze at about 2pm.
“The first fire engine arrived as we were walking towards the house” he said.
“Flames were coming through and around the floodlight and smoke and steam were issuing through the roof tiles.”