WORRIED parents are keeping a close watch on their children following reports of a man making indecent comments to youngsters.
Police advised parents to be vigilant after three children, aged six, eight and nine, were approached as they played in Sanctuary Close this month.
They were subjected to a series of obscene questions before they fled from the man, who has not been seen since.
He is described as white, about 6ft tall and between 25 and 30 years old.
He was standing in Rickmansworth Road when he spoke to the three children at about 4pm on September 16, and is believed to have approached from the direction of Hall Drive.
Following the incident, PC Raymund Rafinan, of Harefield Safer Neighbourhoods team, advised people to be vigilant and call 999 immediately if any child experiences a similar encounter.
He said it was being treated as an isolated incident and that it is possible the man does not live in the village.
Parents with children at Harefield Infants’ School reported being sent letters warning them to be on their guard.
A mother of one of the young people affected told the Gazette that her children had been traumatised by the incident and had been unable to sleep for a few days.
She told the Gazette on Monday: “They are all sleeping much better now.
“We are still taking them to school together to be safe. We haven’t seen or heard anything else but we’re still a little worried.”
A search for the man, including the use of a police helicopter in the hours after he was first sighted, found nothing.
A police spokesman said yesterday (Tuesday): “We are continuing enquiries and the Safer Neighbourhoods team are continuing their patrols and reassurance around primary schools.”
■ Is enough being done? What action would you like to see being taken? www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/tellus.