Apr 19 2011 By Jack Griffith
The Tiger Bar and Grill, in Dawley Road, Hayes
A HAYES pub has had its licence suspended after a series of run-ins with the police in its first nine months of trading.
The Tiger Bar and Grill, in Dawley Road, Hayes, will shut for two months after a licensing committee took the view that it was neglecting the terms of its licence, which was granted last July.
When it reopens, Its permitted opening hours will be scaled back - from a 12pm to an 11pm closing time on Sunday-Thursday, and 11.30pm on Friday and Saturday, having previously had permission to stay open until 1am.
Last Friday's review was called by Hillingdon's Licensing Sergeant Ian Meens, following a string of incidents of anti-social behaviour and a lack of cooperation with the police.
He said at the meeting: "The police time that this premises occupies is far in excess of other similar premises in the borough. It is a difficult area in which to operate, and it is the night time economy where this establishment has fallen down. It's simply down to lack of experience and training."
In six months since September, police have been called to reports of a cab robbery, a theft, fighting, criminal damage, and a suspected stabbing.
As a condition, the pub has to keep all CCTV footage for a month and be readily available to police, but on several occasions the images had been wiped, or the person on site didn't know how to operate the system.
Other failings included security staff not logging all incidents, the lack of a fire risk assessment for the recently-installed shisha lounge, and reports that they were operating out of hours.
Hillingdon Council's food health and safety team also supported the move, after shutting down the premises for 10 days in February following the discovery of a 'prolific infestation' of mice.
Alexander Russell, senior environmental health officer, said at the meeting: "It was far below the minimum standard, and posed an immediate risk to public health. It was not conducive with selling food or alcohol."
She added that investigations were ongoing.
The bar is owned by Saz Investments Ltd, a family business run by father-and-son team Narinder and Saranjit Bhambra, and it is the latter who is the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - responsible for the day-to-day running of the place.
The panel made it a condition that Mr Bhambra be removed as DPS, and his replacement not be a family member or involved with Saz Investments. All staff must also now have a personal license.
David Smith, representing the owners, said that steps had already been taken to improve situation, with a new CCTV system, chef and security firm already in place.
They have a right to appeal within 21 days, but Saranjit Bhambra told the Gazette: "We accept the decision, and I admit there have been teething problems. We will start work on all the conditions imposed and open up afresh after the two months."
Sgt Meens said after the hearing: "I think this is a fair result. There is a need to control disorderly premises, and in this instance, they are fortunate because they could have quite easily lost their licence."
Councillor Jonathan Bianco, cabinet member for finance, property and business services, added: "Residents should not have to put up with disturbances caused by business establishments and we are now working with the proprietor to ensure that this type of anti-social behaviour does not occur again."